The erstwhile Town and Country Planning Department which is currently referred to as the Physical Planning Department is one of the decentralized departments under the Kwahu East District Assembly. The Physical Planning Department was established as per the Second Schedule of the Local Governance Act, 2016 (Act 936) and section 185(4) of the Land Use and Spatial Planning Act, 2016 (Act 925) and charged with the responsibility of planning and management of growth and development of cities, towns, and villages in the country. The Department, therefore, seeks to promote the development of sustainable human settlements based on principles of orderliness, efficiency, safety, and socio-economic development of the area.
The Physical Planning Department of the Kwahu East District Assembly exists to plan, manage and implement harmonious, sustainable, and cost-effective human settlements and environmental horticulture in the district in accordance with sound environmental and planning principles.
The District Director of the Physical Planning Department is also the head of the Spatial Planning Committee secretariat. The secretariat is the point of receiving and collecting of all permit applications.
Functions of the Department
The Department carries out its responsibilities through:
- Preparation of District Spatial Development Framework Plans, Structure Plans, and Local (layout) Plans to direct and guide the growth and sustainable development of human settlements.
- Processing of permit applications for consideration by the District Spatial Planning Committee.
- Facilitate consultation, coordination, and harmonization of developmental decisions into a physical development plan
Coordination of the diverse physical developments promoted by departments, agencies of government, and private developers.
- Ensure the prohibition of the construction of new buildings unless a permit has been issued.
- Provision of various forms of planning services to public agencies and private developers, aimed at securing the highest possible measure of health, efficiency, and order in the physical environment.
- Develop and promote effective landscape beautification in the district and homes.
The Physical Planning Department with the support of other departments of the Kwahu East District Assembly and other key stakeholders will continue to work assiduously to ensure that physical developments within the district conform and adhere to safe and sound planning principles which are aimed to achieve a well sustainable built-environment.